Monday, September 1, 2014

Rabanal to Acebo, 16 May (17kms)

What a tough day!  It took a lot out of me and I really struggled to reach my destination of Acebo.  In retrospect, I realise it was because I had allowed myself to get completely de-hydrated, which weakens the body without you realising it.

The way up to Foncebadon and the Cruz de Ferro was hard going.  It was a beautiful sunny day with clear views on all sides.  Purple heather, white gorse, yellow broom, but the path was a slog!  At Foncebadon, the hippie-style albergue was serving a D.I.Y. breakfast, including flasks full of coffee and tea, getting a bit luke warm by the time I arrived, plus rock hard tostadas.  Even so, I should have had more to eat or drink, to give me strength for the climb.

At the Cruz de Ferro it was quite windy, and hard to find a warm place to sit that was out of the wind.  As I watched all the pilgrims place their stone on the pile with great solemnity and then pose for photos, I lost patience with the whole enterprise.  This was a great symbolic moment for some, but I was feeling worn out and knew that the descent down into Acebo would be equally demanding.

At Manjarin, another hippie establishment offered unattractive fizzy drinks and snacks for a donation.  The only nice thing about it was a friendly puss cat.  I finally asked if they had a glass of red wine, which I poured into my bottle to flavour my water.

As the stony, slippery path wound its way downwards into Acebo, I found myself taking more and more rest stops. I didn't feel too good and even resisted the chance to buy some delicious looking cherries from a roadside stall.  My stomach could not face them!

Finally at Acebo, a pretty mountain village, I secured a single room in an annexe to La Posada del Peregrino.  This was in a normal house, no longer inhabited.  When I went to have my pilgrim's meal at 7.00 p.m. it was an effort to walk back up the street.  I found I could only eat my soup and had to leave my shrimp omelette and chips.  What a waste!  And what a day to fail to enjoy the magnificent views because of dehydration.

Moon setting outside Rabanal
Foncebadon
Puss
Stony track down to Acebo

No comments:

Post a Comment