Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Night train to Lisbon


The book, the film, the trip...

I’ve just read the book and watched the DVD. This is part of my research for my forthcoming trip to Portugal. The novel has received enthusiastic reviews, but I found it rather long-winded and I skipped over many philosophical passages. The film concentrated on the exciting plot, without the philosophy. It deals with the resistance to Salazar’s dictatorial regime in Portugal, a subject not often aired (unlike the French Resistance to the Nazis which is much better known).

Next month I’m off to Portugal, though no night train will be involved. With my ongoing knee problem (not bad enough for surgery apparently, but still painful for long distance walking) I’ve planned a backpacking trip on the country’s rail network. I’ll be visiting many of the top spots on the Portuguese Camino but as a tourist. 

Starting in Porto, I'll be taking a slow train up the Duoro Valley as far as Pinhao, hoping to see the grape harvest. Then back to Porto to take in a few sights I missed last time, such as the Lello Bookshop, which was the inspiration for Hogwarts library in Harry Potter. On to Lisbon via the university town of Coimbra (beautiful ancient library and cathedral). Four nights in Lisbon, with a side trip to Sintra: hope all the steps and cobbles do not cause my knee to give out. Further south to Evora and maybe down to the Algarve after that. I'll miss the camaraderie of being on the Camino, where pilgrims stick together, instantly recognisable to each other even without the shell on their backpack; but I'll have more time and energy to see all the sights - and even do some shopping (only one custard tart per day, though!)

Lisbon Resistance Museum

6 comments:

  1. There is a wonderful museum in Lisbon, almost opposite the cathedral, up the hill a bit, on the left, which is dedicated to the resistance fighters. I stumbled across it and it turned out to be my best afternoon in Lisbon. It is superbly curated. I highly recommend you visit it.

    Re. the book, I have not read it because I didn't know what it was about. Now you have enlightened me I will seek a copy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel. I'll put it on my ever-growing to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisbon, as you will no doubt be aware, is very hilly. It wore me out. Some streets were so steep I could not walk them at all. I recommend that you buy a tram and metro and bus zapping card when you arrive so that you can jump on and off trams if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having covered such a small area on our trip to Portugal earlier this year, I look forward to following along with your visit next month. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My OH read this book and thought it was wonderful but then he does run a philosophy group.I thought it was very boring as did our daughter.It just shows how we are all different.Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I've been seeing posts and testimonials about BLANK ATM CARD but I never believed it, not until I tried it myself. It was on the 12th day of March. I was reading a post about places to visit in Slovakia when I saw this captivating post about how a Man described as Mr John changed his life with the help of a Blank Atm Card. I didn't believe it at first until I decided to reach him through the mail address attached to the post. To my greatest imagination, it was real. Right now am living up to a standard I never used to live before. Today might be your lucky day! Reach Mr Thomas via email:(thomassiguard522@gmail.com) see you on the brighter side of life.you can also contect him via WhatsApp:+17733492820


    ReplyDelete