Monday, August 26, 2024

Kings Park Bushwalk

It’s that time of year again when Kings Park puts on a carefully curated show of Spring wildflowers. I was keen to see if I could put in an appearance as I’ve been “resting” for two weeks. I managed to walk with the group for 6 kms before taking a shortcut back to my car. Getting to Kings Park was a bit of a challenge, since there were many road closures for the annual City to Surf Run. Access to the Park was limited to one entrance from the south side. It wasn’t easy after that, since Lovekin Drive was closed for resurfacing. Finding the meeting spot was like finding your way to the centre of a maze!

When I finally reached the Pioneer Women’s carpark, I was immediately introduced to a mother and son who were planning to do the Camino in mid-October and wanted to pick my brains. I was envious.

The wildflowers were wonderful, maybe a bit early this year:


Paper Daisies always attract attention.



This seems to be a fungus growing out of a tree stump.

Near the carpark is a display of wax flowers. I never realised before how many varieties exist:







When we were in Japan we saw a solitary common-or-garden Geraldton Wax on a restaurant table, in a bud vase like a single rose.

The botanists are doing a similar job breeding varieties of Kangaroo Paws:



P.S. I've just watched a documentary The Cost of a Rose about flower farming in the Netherlands and Kenya. The cost of growing waxflowers in W.A. does not involve such human misery!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful flowers. Ours are beginning to droop and succumb to late summer.

    ReplyDelete