Monday, April 20, 2015

Oviedo

My plane from Dubai left half an hour late, so it was touch and go whether I would catch my connection in Madrid for Oviedo.  I had to race through the airport like a mad thing!  I caught it by the skin of my teeth.

I watched Mr Turner en route.  It was full of atmosphere but hard to follow the plot because the sound through headphones was so poor. Must watch it again properly. 

The route into Asturias Airport went along the coast near Gijon, before turning inland again. On arrival at Oviedo I found that the next bus into town was at 6 pm in 45 minutes time. But the trip was worth the wait - a real scenic drive through mountainous country. I was torn between looking out the window or playing with the free wi fi, which is a feature of all ALSA buses in Spain. 

In Oviedo, I had to find my way to Hotel Vetusta, where I was booked for two nights. I was pretty tired by this time, but after a bowl of soup and a red wine, I just had to make a quick walk as far as the cathedral and was rewarded by seeing the west facade bathed in the light of the setting sun.




Hotel Vetusta

No comments:

Post a Comment