Saturday, February 10, 2018

Chinese New Year



When I lived in Singapore there were huge celebrations. People prepared for it by spring cleaning their houses and throwing out old furniture. During my first year there, I would keep an eye out at the side of the road for useful items as I had quite a spacious flat and balcony to fill. This flat was on Jalan Hang Jebat and had been Single Officers Quarters for the British Army. It had two bedrooms and a maid's room round the back. I found a lovely maid called Siti to look after C, who was 7 when we arrived there. I paid $400 pm rent, $400 pm to Siti and we lived on the $400 remaining from my $1200 pm salary. I worked for Inlingua teaching English, but after 6 months found a better job as Librarian at United World College of SE Asia. Those were the days!


Our balcony in Singapore


Huge decorations in Crown Metropole Perth
This is the Year of the Dog. I was born in the Year of the Monkey!



Same decoration in 2017

4 comments: