Saturday, October 2, 2021

Blue Kangaroo Paw?

An article in a freebie local paper this week reported on a serendipitous plant breeding discovery at Kings Park: a blue kangaroo paw. We went in search of it yesterday…


The volunteer guide in the Information Centre directed us to the Waxes and Kangaroo Paw Garden. In a small area, there were kangaroo paws of many colours: bright red, yellow, pink, black - but no blue ones!


So-called black kangaroo paws... 


...with a lot of pale green on them.

The guide told me to look for the tallest of the plants, which had not quite opened. I did this, but these were clearly not blue ones:


...pink ones


...red ones


Red ones with waxes behind.


In the end, we gave up and drove to Fremantle for F and C. 

The fishing boats were very blue!



When I got home, I googled till I found this article.

The volunteer guide had given me misinformation.  I'll have to try again later!

1 comment: