Saturday, March 16, 2024

Sculptures by the Sea

It’s been a few years since I had a look at Sculptures by the Sea on Cottesloe Beach. It was featured on the TV News so that reminded me. I arrived before 9.00 am and it was already busy. What’s more, the catalogue cost $10 and I only had $3 with me.


Looking south towards the groyne



I wanted to see the work of Sharyn Egan, an indigenous artist whose sculptures were designed to resemble native Balga trees. She was holding workshops at the beach where anyone could join in and try their hand at making these waving fronds. It was a bit like “yarn bombing” and seemed to rely on donations of odd balls of wool.







Sharyn hadn’t arrived though others were trying their hand, but I was keen to see the rest of the exhibits before it got too hot. The sea looked very flat and calm and inviting too! (Lucky I had packed my bathers).


Workshop in progress
Pile of finished fronds from yesterday

You can enter

That's me in the mirror!

Made from caps off wine bottles
View from inside
Dustbins
Proposal
Jellyfish??

















2 comments: