Saturday, May 23, 2015

Vigo and Cies Islands

The best thing about my hotel is that its near the ferry terminal. An enormous cruise ship had come in overnight, the Asuka II from Yokahama.

I had booked a day trip to the Cies Islands. The journey is 45 minutes by fast ferry (a catamaran) and costs €8 -Rottnest pls note!  The boats only run at weekends in May, but mine was packed with locals. The top deck held 97 passengers and a few more were inside sheltering from a stiff breeze. Those wearing shorts had goosebumps on their legs. Lots of youngies had camping gear with them, as that is the only accommodation on the islands, which are a National Park. Google it!

The Guardian nominated this "the best beach in the world", resembling the Carribean. That may be so, but in May the waster is too cold to even think about swimming. This is the Atlantic Ocean!



However, the islands are full of walk trails and I had a lovely day sampling one of these, going as far as a lookout with a strange stone, a hole in the rock, with a view possibly as far as Finisterre to the north. From here I could look back to where the ferries moored. At 1.00 pm when I had my picnic lunch (courtesy of the hotel breakfast bar!) I could see 2 ferries queued up, waiting for one to discharge its passengers at the single berth.



On the way back, I stopped for a beer at the camping site cafeteria and was startled by a seagull which suddenly swooped to steal food from the next table:



No comments:

Post a Comment