Monday, September 30, 2019

Coimbra

Two handsome students

No chance for a siesta this afternoon; the house opposite is being renovated, with attendant drilling, hammering, concrete mixer and shouting; next door Is a printing press with old style printing machines!

I walked to the main square to sit in a pavement cafe, watching the world go by in the late afternoon. There is a shop here which is a monument to sardine canning (Comur). If you are so inclined to part with €7, you can buy a tin from your birth year!

I saw a little all-electric bus pull up with the destination Se Velha (Old Cathedral). I jumped on board as it would save me a steep uphill walk. At 6.00pm the Cathedral was only open for Mass (I’m not having much luck on this trip). I took a few photos, inside and out, when the sound of merrymaking came down the street. It must be the beginning of the University term.

Se Velha 
This bus actually came down that street with inches to spare!

Sardines

Old photo of sardine factory workers


Cafe outside sardine shop




No comments:

Post a Comment