Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Pinhao, Duoro Valley

The scenic train trip took 2.5 hours and was a bargain at €5.55. It looks as if seniors travel at half price, so I’m really into a good thing here. We left Sao Bento at 9.20 and arrived at around 11.50 am. Leaving Porto, we passed veggie gardens and fields of corn on the cob, before we entered the famed Duoro vineyards on both sides. The scenery was very similar to the Ribiera Sacra in Spain.

So many people got off the train at Pinhao, the station platform was completely jammed as people milled around, not knowing which way to go. I could see my hotel, the Vintage House, but not how to get to it! Finally I arrived, but couldn’t check in till after 3.00 pm. After a coffee and a little sit in the beautiful hotel gardens, I went to book a one-hour boat trip upstream in the afternoon. I thought an hour would be enough; to travel up here from Porto by boat, as many people do, would be a bit boring and same-same.

Vintage House from the river

Sitting in the garden

Our boat heads upstream

Flying the flag




Part of the Croft Estate

Landing stage near the hotel

Hotel entry

Finally got into my room and took a hot bath!


.................

Time for a siesta and a bit of BBC World on TV, but nothing on except Trump&Ukraine and Boris&Brexit. I took a short walk along the river where a large tour boat had pulled in containing a German group, going by their loud-speakers.

Dining in, as now too tired to explore further:



Duck Magret (somewhat tough for aging teeth) with roasted veg and orange sauce

Almond mousse and almond ice cream

In addition, the chef sent out complimentary “surprises” of prawn tempura and mushroom soup. I tasted the local red:

Quinta da Soalheira Vinhas Velhas, Cima Corgo Duoro








1 comment:

  1. The photos are slow to open so have not seen them all. I glimpsed the bedroom. It looks like luxury! And the train ride and boat trip. All sounds good so far and lots to see.x

    ReplyDelete