Monday, March 30, 2020

Let them eat chocolate

Marie Antoinette famously said “Let them eat cake.” At the weekend, C replenished our chocolate supplies after a visit to Aldi. We only buy Woolworths Lindt when it’s on special, which it never is nowadays. I find it hard to make up a weekly order for Woolworths delivery, because I’m used to shopping every few days. I invariably forget something. We are now out of bread and my attempts at making focaccia have not been brilliant. JL said the first one was a bit hard; the second would have broken our teeth. It’s only good for croutons. I give up!

I am glued to Covid19 news. West Australian Passengers off the Vasco da Gama are now in quarantine on Rottnest Island. A group of sick German passengers off the Artania were supposed to go to two private hospitals, including Hollywood Hospital, where I had my hip replacement. The medical staff protested, saying they had no training for that kind of work, so the Government changed its mind and sent them to Joondalup where JL was treated for bowel cancer and broken ribs after falling off a ladder while pruning a grapevine. He is indestructible.

Incoming Australians arriving by air are now going to hotels for 2 weeks, paid for by the Government: first the Duxton in town and then, so we hear, the Crown next door to us. The Premier says he doesn’t care if they complain about lack of fresh air because they can’t open windows or if they don’t like the food. Tough! The policy is protecting the community because people coming home previously were not self isolating. Getting home is not easy for some and many people are stranded in S. America unable to get a flight.

I’ve been watching the vlog of Greg Virgoe, an English van lifer, who had to drive his campervan back from the Algarve in 3 days. He travelled in a little convoy with some others who had dogs and needed a lot of paperwork from vets to pass through. He is now appealing for people to offer a parking space for vanlifers who have nowhere to go in the crisis.

The weather is beautiful and we are lucky that we can still get out for a walk. I was down by the river this morning, giving others a wide berth.

Hissing swan statue. 

They can be quite fierce. Once one flew straight at me in a ferocious manner. Years ago in England, one tried to steal C’s rag doll and bit off its head because she held on to it so tightly.


2 comments:

  1. We seem to have some commonality in the YouTube channels we watch (as mentioned both in this post and one you made last week). I started watching Greg Virgoe when a Google search about insulating a van conversion took me to him, and through a combination of people he has met on the road and suggestions made by YouTube about other things I would like to watch, my viewing has widened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope most people need not learn up close how difficult an encounter with a large bird can be.

    ReplyDelete