Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Margaret River escape

It’s nice to get away and do something completely different. I’m spending a few days in Margaret River: my namesake. The plan was to walk parts of the Cape to Cape Track, but my level of fitness is not what it was, so shorter walks became the order of the day.

I drove north up Caves Road and turned off near Injidup. This is a view of the beach through “tortured trees”.  They are tortured by the prevailing wind, but I was lucky to be there on a calm and sunny day:



Down on the beach was a piece of debris brought in by the tide. Many many mussels were clinging to it, opening and shutting their shells in desperation, unable to survive out of the water. Nature is cruel.


On the way back, I called in at a favourite provision shop, as it’s become a tradition to pick up some venison chorizo whenever I’m in these parts:


The deer roam free in the pastures behind a high fence alongside the road. They live a happy life, I should say.  Near the car park I saw a pair of fairy wrens, the female a dull brown and the male an electric blue. My hands were full, so I was unable to get a photo. 

Lunch next day.

In the evening, I had a booking at the Arc of Iris, one of Margaret River’s longest established restaurants. They are being ultra careful about limiting the number of diners. On the menu was Goat Rogan Josh, made by a master chef. Indian food is one of the things I don’t attempt at home.




On all the tables were little fairy lights in a bottle. I want to get some!














2 comments: