Thursday, January 7, 2021

Extraction

The main event this week has been having a tooth out. How quickly that occurs in the hands of an expert! The last time this happened to me, I ended up in terrible pain afterwards with the dreaded "dry socket", when the blood clot gets dislodged allowing an infection to get in. This time I was going to preserve that blood clot at all costs and inspected it regularly with the light from my iPhone. For the first 5 hours, I held a cotton swab clamped firmly to the spot and the only thing that passed my lips was some watermelon juice. Later, I was brave enough to eat some scrambled egg and avocado, with mango for dessert. One day later, the clot is still there, I'm happy to say. Too much information?  But, be warned, a dry socket is no fun. Next on the horizon is an implant, as there are now no more teeth left in that part of my mouth. 

I've had to rest for 24 hours and it's 39 degrees outside. I've been reading Warlight by Michael Ondaatje, a novel set in London in the postwar years. The times are recreated in great detail (a bit like Foyle's War), even including passages about crooked greyhound racing and boats with other strange cargoes going up and down London waterways. How did he know this? He is from Sri Lanka and Canada.




No comments:

Post a Comment