Sunday, January 31, 2021

Lockdown

This is Day One of a five-day lockdown.  Here in W.A. we have lived normal lives for 10 months, with no community transmission. Suddenly, a leak has occurred from a quarantine hotel which houses returned travellers from overseas. Perth has been accepting about 500 of these every week and now has a few with the UK and S.African strains. A security guard has tested positive and the govt has published a long list of all the places he visited before and after he felt unwell. One of these is a petrol station which I normally frequent, though I haven't been there recently.  He may also have worked as an Uber driver. The contact tracers will be busy, as will COVID testing sites.

So, I'm staying put for the rest of this week, with just an early morning walk each day. I don't like walking with a mask on at all and have to leave my glasses at home. Luckily I did a big grocery shop on Saturday morning, having just got back from our holiday in Mandurah. My wine cellar is not looking too good:
One bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc;
One 2-litre cask of Cabernet Merlot;
Half a bottle of Aperol;
5 Peroni Leggera;
4 mini Prosecco.
Maybe that's enough for the week!

Early on Sunday, before the lockdown, I decided to explore a local bird sanctuary, since we so enjoyed our Mandurah trip. I drove to the Eric Singleton Reserve, on the other side of the Swan River just opposite the Ascot Racecourse. I saw very few birds, possibly because it's right next to a dog exercise area known as Riverside Gardens.  I've never seen (or heard) so many dogs racing around - including lots of greyhounds, all off the lead. Is that allowed? They also race into the water of their own little dog beach. One pure black greyhound with a limp took himself into the shallow water and stood there for a good 5 minutes, not moving.

Dog beach

A white heron crossing an overflow weir







3 comments:

  1. Darling Margaret,

    Thank you for reaching out into the Blogosphere and finding us since that has enabled us to find you.

    Long story but we have been in lockdown since 11th March, so 5 days of staying at home seems like a mere drop in the ocean to us. Still, it is wonderful to have such beautiful surroundings close by and for that one must be truly grateful.

    These are such strange and difficult times but we must all stay positive and do what we can to reduce the transmission. Take care and stay safe.

    We have followed and will stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I've missed most during COVID is going overseas. I've been watching Joanna Lumley's TV series "Unseen Adventures" in which she says "I love travelling. I couldn't live without it." In 2020, we all had to. I used to go every year to walk parts of the Camino. When things open up again, I'll be too old and unfit. But, you never know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen an egret up close in the wild only one time. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete