Monday, April 26, 2021

Denham to Monkey Mia

Denham is all about fishing. As I went for an early morning walk at 7.00 am, several fishing charters were about to set off in search of big fish. Not my thing at all! At the service station, a man was filling up his boat: half a tank cost him $300. What a waste!


I took a couple of photos of the recreational jetty for JL. It was funded by Royalties for Regions and opened by Colin Barnett in 2015.








I was soon on the road for Monkey Mia, only 30 kms away, so I arrived long before check-in time at 2.00 pm. My main priority was to find a shaded spot to park the car in the 30 degree heat, in order to protect my food supplies as best I could till I had access to a fridge. Then a quick coffee at the beachfront cafe.  Wow: three dolphins were already coming in for a feed! Mostly they arrive early in the morning. After that, it was time to sit under a palm tree doing nothing.







At 1.45 pm I received a text: my room was ready. This is a studio with really cold aircon and all mod cons, though the most desirable beachfront ones are all fully booked. I should have planned it better, but MM was not on my itinerary before lockdown. My little balcony overlooks the unpowered caravan park and what I take to be a desalination plant. The drinking water is excellent.


In the afternoon, I went back to the beach. Six young dolphins were frolicking around in the shallow water. It wasn’t even feeding time.  A few people were standing still up to hip-level in the water and the dolphins would swim up to them, out of curiosity. I did the same and was rewarded by some amazing videos, to be posted on my Instagram account.


The Internet is very weak here and the free allowance is very measly. I will wait till I get a better signal before posting any more photos. I’m going to stay in MM for one more night.

No comments:

Post a Comment