Friday, April 29, 2022

Estella to Los Arcos

A sunny morning, so I began the day with a bit of sightseeing. The leading Romanesque church in Estella is the Church of  San Pedro de la Rua, approached by a long flight of steps. Those in the know can take a lift from 100m down the street.




Cloister seen from above. It’s a very challenging site.



Nearby is another interesting building: the Palace of the Kings of  Navarre, a rare example of domestic Romanesque architecture:



I sat down for a while in the main square and a group of school kids arrived with their teacher for some PE. The girls were playing badminton, but they were incredibly bad. They asked me to play (I used to play for my college at uni and haven’t played for 50 years!). They kept missing the shuttle and became discouraged.
They preferred to practice their English on me and couldn’t believe I was doing the Camino on my own at my age and had come from Australia to do it. They were 14.

It’s turned out to be a lovely sunny day. I took the bus (18 kms) to Los Arcos. I remembered the square outside the Church where they serve Sangria: perfecto!



Pension Mavi is just round the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a person who makes sure all who set out in the morning arrive by evening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only if you have booked accommodation at the next place; but it’s not foolproof. However, there are always so many pilgrims on the trail, there would always be someone coming along to help you.

    ReplyDelete