Thursday, April 28, 2022

Lorca to Estella

No end to this rain (and a very muddy Camino underfoot). We slip and slide along: walking poles are essential.


Poppies beside the way.

I was glad to reach Villatuerte where a newish Sports Centre had a nice warm cafe/bar: a welcome sight for peregrinos needing a hot drink and a sit down. 

The Church at Villatuerte in the rain.

Thursday is market day in Estella. The central square is packed with stalls selling fresh veggies of all kinds:


Artichokes.

On the way into town I passed the Albergue Curtidores, where I stayed previously; then the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, dating back to the 12th century. I walked along the Calle del Rua and nearly missed my Hostal as there were so many in this part of town. I had to wait till 3.00 pm to check in so I thought about finding a restaurant in the town centre to have lunch.



Church of the Holy Sepulchre.


I had asparagus for lunch, but for my taste it was rather overcooked and underwhelming. I’d passed fields of it growing under black plastic, in rows carefully banked up like potatoes.

When I returned to find Hostal la Rua, a couple from Brisbane with identical backpacks to mine were trying to get in. They were phoning the Senora for an entry code. Quite a coincidence: the first Australians I’ve met on this Camino. This Hostal is absolutely brand new. It’s right on the river, overlooking the water as if in Venice:

View from my window.

It’s quite mesmerising to watch the river flowing by at speed.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that's a coincidence. I'm not a world traveler, but still, so far from home.

    ReplyDelete