Thursday, October 3, 2019

Coimbra to Lisbon

Today was just about getting from A to B. The train left Coimbra at 8.45 and arrived in Lisbon at 11.00 am. It was absolutely full and sped along at up to 190 mph. We passed through mostly forested areas, with pine plantations and possibly cork trees.

At Santa Apolonia Station I quickly got in a taxi and was transported to my hotel, the Corpo Santo. This is a bit of a splurge after the Coimbra cheapo! (Actually the Olive Street House wasn’t too bad, as I had the third floor to myself for the first two nights. Only last night was a problem as lots more people arrived, stomping up and down stairs, calling out to one another and taking a shower at 1.00 am).

As I couldn’t check in to the Corpo Santo till 2.00 pm, I went for a walk (or a climb) up behind the hotel and found myself in a street with a hamburger place - ideal for a quick lunch. After that I was ready for a hot bath and a siesta. Lisbon is hot and noisy, so it’s nice to have a quiet room where I can retreat from the crowds.

Intercity train at Coimbra Station.

My first view over Lisbon: the Cathedral top left.

Lunch spot.

The waterfront at 6.00 pm.



One of the fast ferries that cross the River Tejo  to Cacilhas.




2 comments:

  1. I needed 4 hours in the Resistance Museum and even then I was tiring by the top floor and the cafeteria wasn't open. But I still thought it was a great museum and left me very drained in thought. Lisbon made me ill with all the hills. I ended up with serious tooth infection and two rounds of antibiotics and very tired. It would have been even worse without the trams and buses and metro. The weather looks bright and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late response! Yes, the city is exhausting as it’s always tempting to try and see too much - but I’ve come here to sightsee so I’m going to do it!!
    Enjoy your trip - hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete