Tuesday, October 8, 2019

More on Evora

This place seems to me to be quintessential Portugal. The narrow cobbled streets are a deterrent to cars, so they mostly remain as they have been for centuries. You will see what I mean with the following pics of the street where I live:

Noble House is on the left.

Going up towards the university.


Another view of the Cathedral.

My target this morning was the famous Chapel of Bones, an eerie sight if ever there was one. Attached to the Church of San Francisco, the chapel contains thousands of bones arranged artistically around its walls. They were dug up from various churchyards around the town by 3 Franciscan monks who wanted the citizens to meditate on the materialist values of the time.





I heard a guide telling people that they sometimes receive parcels of bones in the post. What a good idea!

Time for a fig ice cream after that:








No comments:

Post a Comment