Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Margaret River

I came to MR to see the Open Studios Event, but the two artists I planned to visit were closed today. Try again tomorrow! However, there are lots of things to do down here; in fact you are spoilt for choice: hiking, wildflowers, wineries, to name only three. The Visitors Centre was sending people to walk beside the River itself, a short or a long walk from Rotary Park near the town centre. This was my first stop.




Beautiful trees on the short walk





Hardenbergia




Always some indigenous stories



I decided to drive further afield and proceeded south to Conto Road for the sea views and to check out the campground there.


Clematis pubescent


View from Conto Road

Another view



I ate my picnic in a shady spot in the campground but my peace was disturbed by the arrival of 3 bus loads of teenagers on a school camping trip. After that a man from a mobile home wanted to engage me in conversation (he was on a prolonged road trip around Australia for the next 5 years, he said). The most important thing he did was to point out a small bulge in the wall of my tyre. I immediately packed up and googled the nearest tyre shop to get the problem fixed. I didn’t want to risk a blow-out whilst travelling home at speed. $120 later, I drove to the Mouth of the River and purchased an ice-cream in some relief. This was all an unexpected expense, but better safe than sorry!

Connoisseur make the BEST ice cream

Collecting seaweed at the river mouth


The river is flowing very fast today,
but I saw one man cross at the second attempt.

If walking the Cape to Cape Track (which I did more than 20 years ago), you really need to cross at this point.  (I later discovered that people on guided treks get across by canoe at this time of year).


1 comment: