Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Eclipse

My attempt to view the solar eclipse was an epic fail, mainly because I got the timing wrong. I thought it was going to be 11.27 am, but that was the Exmouth time not the Perth time which was earlier. I was busy doing a bit of housework when it seemed to be getting rather dark. I suddenly remembered and rushed down to the ground floor and outside. Lots of people were there, trying to see, but nobody had the proper viewers to protect their eyes.

At the cafe, Zam had the idea of taking a photo in reverse and through one of the shades. This is what I took (but it was already 11.31):


Too late!

The annoying thing is that I could have gone up to Exmouth, but as I’m off to Spain on Monday it would have been a tight schedule. I could easily have booked my Spanish trip a week later if I’d thought.

Back to this morning, I went for a walk along the river and saw a girl packing up a very professional looking telescope. I asked if she would show me what she had seen. This was a shot of her camera, taken from her telescope at 11.20 am :



These are the facts from a local news site:

How dark will it get?

Varying degrees of darkness will be cast across the state.

While Exmouth will be plunged into total darkness for around just a minute, Perth will have 70 per cent of sunlight obscured at the peak of the eclipse.

Across the state, Broome will have 89 per cent of the sun obscured, while Albany see 59 per cent of it hidden.


Total eclipse at Exmouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment