Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Views of Granada

Yesterday morning’s weather forecast was for several hours of rain. I sheltered in my hotel for a while, but it didn’t want to stop. In the end I put on my Rohan rain jacket and set out to walk up the hill to the Alhambra. My leggings and feet were soon soaked. It took me about half an hour. Water was pouring down the channels on both sides of the road, the abundant green vegetation the only thing enjoying it:


At the top, I had the idea of going into the Parador for a bit, in order to dry out. There were signs saying House Guests Only, but I was too wet to care! I sat on a window seat that had hot air coming from below which was pretty good.


One of the inner courtyards of the Parador.


I had a quick snack in the Parador cafeteria when it opened at 11.30 am. The place was buzzing as everyone was coming out of the rain.

Later that day…

The receptionist advised me to climb up to a lookout with a view of the Alhambra. It’s a favourite spot to see the glow of the sunset on the towers:


Lots of others had the same idea:

This view is across to the Sierra Nevada, with snow on the most distant mountain:




On the way down from the Mirador I found myself in the Albaicin quarter. All the little Arabic shops had opened up, selling goods from Turkey and beyond:







Mounds of Turkish Delight.


Sugared nuts.

1 comment: