Saturday, June 29, 2024

End of the Holiday

Our chalet, Tree Change, is only 16 minutes walk from Happs Pottery, announced C in the afternoon. I was inclined to laze on the sofa with my new book but I got myself into gear for some exercise. We had to walk along the road because there was no pavement and a few cars kept whizzing past. Rocky stayed at home: he would not have liked this.


Happs is full of tempting pots. I already have two at home, purchased on previous visits. C has a big red painting by an artist-in-residence.

You can now take pottery lessons in this area, but all was quiet this afternoon. Only a glass-blower was at work in his studio:

He was making little glass beads which had a tiny mushroom inside. I’m not sure what you could do with these.

Another visit was to a silversmiths, John Miller Designs. The man himself was in Broome for an exhibition weekend. Silver is not my thing, but C had bought a ring there in the past and thought about buying a matching bracelet. She couldn’t find something that was an exact match, but we talked for a while to the lady behind the counter and found out lots about silver cuffs.







A lot of his creations are inspired by marine life. I really liked the gold nautilus, but I’m not in the market for expensive jewellery. 

When we arrived back at Tree Change, it was time to light the fire. We have made big inroads into the wood supply:


Some of these logs are simply too big, but there was no hatchet anywhere so we couldn’t split them.

On our final day, we decided to go out for breakfast. Just across the road was Goanna Cafe, a one-time gallery but now a popular restaurant. (There is obviously more profit in food than in art!). We had perused the menu beforehand. C enjoyed a large Indonesian breakfast, whilst I ordered a more modest poached eggs on sourdough toast w. bacon:







1 comment: