Friday, September 13, 2024

Wongan Hills

The Bushwalking Group are having a weekend away, staying at Wongan Hills Caravan Park. A number of chalets were pre-booked some time ago, since this is prime wildflower season in these parts. My friend V was supposed to be sharing with me, but she has been in hospital having surgery on her foot, so is missing out on the trip. C said she would come instead.

It’s Friday the 13th and my day did not begin well. Driving out of my underground carpark I heard a strange noise and realised I had a flat tyre. Sod’s Law: just as I needed to set off to pick up C. 

I called the RAC, who said they would be there in 60 minutes, which they were. Then I had to take the tyre to the garage to get it repaired. It was just a nail in the tread, but this took another 45 minutes. I drove to Como, where C had a nice lunch waiting for me. Finally we could be on our way to Wongan Hills. We stopped at Bindoon Bakehouse to pick up a few goodies; their bread was sold out by the afternoon but some little cakes were added to our provisions.

The weather has suddenly turned very hot, up to 27 degrees: not the best for bushwalking, but it is what it is. There are many flies around, in and out of the chalet. We were all booked into the Wongan Hills Hotel for dinner, a typical country pub with a very long bar and a huge selection of beers. C and I enjoyed fish and chips: the portions were generous and I could only get through half of mine.






1 comment: