Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mazarife to Hospital, 12 May (15kms)

It was another perfect Spring morning.  I had a latish breakfast and set off down the road at 8.15 a.m.  There were storks flying around and frogs calling from the fast-flowing irrigation channels.  I saw big clumps of red poppies, brilliant in the sunshine.  Ahead there was a mountain range in the distance, snow covered.



Poppies
The road into Villavante seemed never-ending.  I walked right through the town, ignoring the tempting bars (now quiet since I was just about the last pilgrim going through).  I went on till eventually I found the Molino Galochas, where I would really have liked to stay the night, but it would have made the stage too long.  The conversion of the mill was a superb job, with the millstream actually going underneath the house.  There was a fairly big wild garden, set about with grinding wheels for tables and lounge beds on the grass.  I had to ring the bell, as no-one appeared to be about, but just at that moment Jacotrans turned up with 2 suitcases to deliver.  The friendly lady of the house served me a beer and a baguette with a freshly made French omelette and York ham (€4), and then I made use of a lounge bed for 15 minutes "descanso".  I also went inside to the loo, and was able to sneak a look at one of the bedrooms: what a pity I had missed out on staying there!


Molino Galochas

It seemed a long trek from Villavante to Hospital, especially in the hot midday sun.  It took me a long time to locate my hotel, El Paso Honroso;  not a good choice, as it turned out to be a modern, motel-type place on the main road, rather than in the pretty old town centre. However, the quiet room I requested was just that, situated looking over fields at the back.

The famous Hospital bridge was certainly worth seeing, the longest medieval bridge in Spain, with 19 arches, though only a few were actually over water now.


Bridge at Hospital
The place I chose for an early dinner was not the best, though it boasted the local speciality: trout soup.  I had this, followed by some very overcooked chicken and chips.  I chatted to a S. African woman, who was doing huge distances every day on a very tight schedule.  She told me something useful:  her son had put an ap on her iPhone, which would automatically send any photos she took back to their computer at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment