Thursday, June 2, 2016

Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port

Expenses for last 2 days:
I've lost track, as I had to spend a lot to try and mitigate the effects of the train strike on my travel plans.
Demi pension at Gite Ultreia in Moissac: 57€
Train to Bayone via Bordeaux 55€
Bed at Hotel Monte Carlo in Bayonne 35€
Paella and rose for dinner last night 23€
Bus from Bayonne to SJPP this morning 10€
Lightweight daypack (Sea to Summit design Perth!!!) 35€
Baggage transport with Express Bourricot for next 2 days 16€


I've just arrived in SJPP, located my hotel (Izalpea) and deposited my backpack there. Leaving Bayonne in the rain, of course, it was another grey day. On the TV news at breakfast, the main feature was flooding of the Seine SE of Paris, where 5500 people are apparently in refuge centres. So I'm better off than them I suppose. But I'm totally fed up of watching wet countryside whizz by from the window of a train or a bus!

However, the forecast is better from lunchtime today. I have the rest of today to look around SJPP and prepare myself for tomorrow's hike. I decided that the prospect of carrying  8.5 kilos over the Pyrenees was too much. I did this when I was younger and fitter, but feel that I need to make it easier for myself this time! A man had a heart attack up there last week. This happens on a regular basis, as people set off unprepared or go too fast up the mountain. I will be the tortoise!

Last night's paella

Bridge at SJPP

Leaving town

Traditional window decorations by the metre

Hotel Izalpea


On my way tomorrow!





2 comments: