Saturday, June 4, 2016

Orisson to Roncesvalles

Orisson Auberge

Lunch on the terrace at Orisson

Dinner at Orisson

A pilgrim pats a semi-wild horse in the mist as we climbed higher up the mountain. We later learned that these horses are for the French horse meat trade.

Signpost for Navarre tells us we are entering Spain

Koreans from Orisson finally overtake me at the signpost: if it looks wet, it was. The  low cloud kept rolling over from the Spanish side and falling as drizzle in France.

Turn right for Roncesvalles and then it's downhill all the way, knees complaining at the steep descent. A Spanish cyclist was advising people to take the road rather than going down through the woods. This added an extra 2 kms but I took his advice and I think it was worth it.

First sight of Roncesvalles through the mist. I had been walking for 8 hours and was totally worn out!

My stylish room at Hotel Roncesvalles, next to the monastery: an old photo is above the bed.

It was a day that proved to be too much for me, but somehow I managed it!  I've crossed the Pyrenees twice on foot! Not many can say that.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing walk for you. A great achievement with lots of wonderful views, and good people on the way. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete