Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Santiago to Finisterre

It was supposed to be a scenic drive, following the coast, and it would have been given better weather. But it was very wet, with a grey sky and an even greyer sea. We left at 9.15 am and arrived just after 11.30.  In Finisterre it was raining quite hard, so I stopped for a coffee and then took a taxi to my accommodation at Hotel Mar de Fisterra.


Muros: a fishing village en route.


Finisterre harbour.


Since Roman times, this place was thought to be the end of the known world. If you believed the earth was flat, obviously you would have to fall off the edge at some point.

Having dropped off my bag, I walked back into town in search of some lunch. It’s seafood heaven here, with a multitude of restaurants along the front. It was difficult to make a choice, but eventually I opted for this one:






Wall decor.




My lunch: a seafood stew in a cazuela with a whole crab, potatoes and other seafood in the sauce. Two glasses of AlbariƱo and “I dined well” as the pirates said in Majorca at Bendinat.

My hotel was 600m back out of town, with a brilliant sea view as promised. I was ready for a siesta! When I woke up, the sun had broken through and the beach was calling. 

My room with a view.

A paradise for shell collectors: I had to restrain myself.


My hotel is the blue and white building at the end of the row.

1 comment: