Thursday, June 22, 2023

Port Hedland to Broome

I was away early this morning. Port Hedland to Broome was going to be a long and tiring day on the road. Leaving town, there was just one hold-up in the form of a level crossing for long iron ore trains coming and going to the port. I was lucky enough to see the end of such a train, so my wait was only a minute or two.

My first stop was at Pardoo Roadhouse, which had been badly damaged in the cyclone early this year. It is still closed, but some repairs have begun:





I had to stop at Sandfire Roadhouse for fuel. My Prius takes Premium  (95 or 97) and there was only one pump dispensing this. It was hard to find as there was a big queue of cars and caravans fighting for space. I had to get out and check for the right pump and then elbow my way to get to it.

At 2.30 pm my hotel tried to ring to tell me my room was ready, but I was stopped for a nap at a rest area in the middle of nowhere with no phone service. It was a pleasure to finally arrive in Broome and find my way to the Bali Hai (my home for four nights):



They told me I had been given an up-grade. I’m not sure why!


I’ve always loved these lampshades.




1 comment: