Friday, June 30, 2023

Broometime

My few days of R and R in Broome are coming to an end. The weather has not been kind to me. We’ve not had any of the rain that has been sweeping across the Kimberley, but it has been extremely windy with grey skies and temperatures in the low 20’s. Not Broome weather at all. But others are worse off than me. I talked to a woman yesterday from Melbourne, whose trip with Adventure Wild had been cancelled because of the closure of the Gibb River Road. AW have had to cancel two trips this week and are refunding the money 100%, but the participants are in Broome wondering where to stay and what to do with themselves.

I’ve been occupying myself visiting shops and galleries. Yesterday I started off at Paspaley Pearls and watched a National Geographic film about the history of their enterprise:



Inside the showroom:






I wouldn’t mind these earrings, but when would I wear them ?


These are signs of the zodiac carved into pearl shell:



The design process and its inspiration:


Outside, it was interesting to walk around town and revisited places I remember:



Next on the agenda was a visit to Short Street Gallery, housed in one of the oldest buildings in town. It looks as if it could fall down at any moment! On the roof is an early form of aircon: a wind tunnel that draws in air in order to expel all the warm air inside by creating a through draft:



This is the tunnel from inside the gallery (no longer operational):




No comments:

Post a Comment