Thursday, May 20, 2021

Cape Leveque rest day

 “What is this life if full of care
We have no time to stand and stare”





I’ve spent a lot of time sitting outside my cabin staring at the view. This holiday has felt rather rushed; there is always pressure to see one more thing and to capture it on my IPhone. So it was good to stop for a bit and do nothing.

My cabin is surrounded by these Screwpine trees. The branches grow around the trunk like a screw. They have big orange nuts, which often drop on my tin roof in the night. There is also a bird bath which attracts lots of different birds every morning, including the tiniest birds I’ve ever seen. They all come in for a drink.


There are small lizards that visit, like the one in “Death in Paradise”.



The other cabin near to me has a nice couple from Melbourne. I was relieved when they arrived as this is quite a lonely spot. They even gave me some muesli for breakfast. Lunch was calamari:


In the evening I scraped together cheese and biscuits and an avocado, and drank the last drop of red wine (from a 2 litre cask brought from Perth - you can’t buy cask wine up here).

Sunrise is always spectacular:






1 comment:

  1. I hope when you get home, you enlarge and republish many of your photos. The smallest bird you've ever seen is one of them

    ReplyDelete