Saturday, May 29, 2021

Carnarvon to Geraldton

It rained and rained all day, at times very heavily: cats and dogs, you might say. There was a lot of water on the road. The verges were soft and waterlogged so it was risky to pull off. The Prius does not have high clearance, so I was nervous about driving through puddles. In this part of the world, the road fell away into a big chasm a few months ago! I didn’t want to get bogged or worse still swept away. At the worst point, I stopped to see what other cars would do. One simply drove through on the wrong side of the road so I followed him.

When there was a break in the downpour, I stopped for a late lunch at the Galena Bridge rest area. I took a photo of the old bridge to gauge the height of the river. I thought I had taken the same photo on the way up, but not so:



There were lots of caravans in the rest area, sheltering from the storm. If they stay there all night, who knows how high the river will be in the morning?


2 comments:

  1. Nerve shattering trip. When I wished safe home, I had not idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joanne! I'm home safely now - and suddenly find I can leave comments on blogs again. Why, I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete