Monday, May 24, 2021

Port Hedland to Point Samson

In Port Hedland I stayed at the Hospitality Motel, in the same part of town as Cooke Point, but not so far out. It has seen better days, but has a really good view over the sea towards the port. On a Sunday night, lots of ships had twinkling lights as they waited to enter for loading next day. In the morning, I took a panorama shot and photos looking both ways.










Leaving town, I stopped at a viewing platform to watch a mile-long iron ore train returning empty to the mine:




They are so long that they need another engine in the middle.


I planned a fairly short day’s driving after yesterday’s marathon six hours plus from Broome. I took my time to Point Samson, stopping to sightsee at Roebourne and Cossack.



The old Roebourne Gaol, all fenced off and not open to visitors on Mondays.










The Customs House has an enormous storage shed. Cossack is now a deserted historic town, under development as a tourist destination.

1 comment: