Saturday, May 1, 2021

Point Samson to Port Hedland

Another early morning walk took me in the opposite direction from Honeymoon Pool. In this part of the world the sun rises over the ocean which is quite unusual in WA. I made a short video of this on my Instagram account. This is a morning shot of the Cape Lambert jetty, and a nicely decorated public toilet:





Back on the road, my first stop was Wickham where a Woolies provided a few supplies - everything is really expensive in these remote areas, especially fruit and veg. But I need to eat! I paid $7.50 for blueberries which have travelled from NZ.

Today was an easy day driving: just over 200 kms. Each day seems to get a few degrees hotter; it reached 37 today. The aircon goes full blast in the car and dries my eyes out. I made a stop for coffee ( my own) at the old Whim Creek Hotel. It is long since closed and falling into disrepair, but I remember camping here with the Nats years ago. The barmaid had adopted an orphaned baby kangaroo, which she carried around with her as she did her work.



I arrived at Port Hedland caravan park in time to make lunch in my cabin. This place used to be called Cooke Point park, but has been taken over by Discovery Parks. I was a bit worried as to where I had actually booked, but all was well. After a siesta, I explored the beach and took some pics of the Pretty Pool area:





The tide was well out:





In the dunes I spotted some of the nasty “double gees” which Rocky got stuck in his paw in York:



Also, many Birdflowers which are prolific in this area:



I managed to fit in a swim in the small pool, just as the sun was going down:





1 comment:

  1. I bought blueberries and raspberries yesterday, both $3.99 for a small container, maybe half a pint. No idea the point of origin, though I could go to the kitchen and find out, but I won't.

    ReplyDelete