Thursday, July 28, 2022

Broome to Eighty Mile Beach

I had to leave Broome finally (till next year, fingers crossed). I got to spend 2 nights in Beaches of Broome backpackers, which is a very well organised place. I was sharing a dorm with a young woman who had just finished 4 years working in Fitzroy Crossing and had now saved up enough money to move on to something different - either to travel or to go to uni. She was still deciding. Then I managed to secure another night at Kimberley Sands. I had fewer complaints this time; the pool had definitely been cleaned and the water seemed slightly warmer. There was one big issue with the room, however: the water was too slow to drain away in the shower and flooded the bathroom floor!


Iconic blue sea at Cable Beach.


Lunch at the Mangrove.


Looking out from my room at Kimberley Sands.

The best halfway stop on the road to Port Hedland is Eighty Mile Beach. This is ten kms off the highway along a gravel road. I don’t like going off road with the Prius, but enough caravans go along so I thought it was worth taking a risk. I checked into my accommodation: a brand new cabin at the far end of the site. The beach itself is worth the drive.


Looking north.


This is the domain of hermit crabs which scuttle along madly!


Couldn’t resist collecting a few shells.


Of course, there’s no wi-fi or phone service here!

1 comment: