Saturday, July 9, 2022

Nanutarra to Karratha

The nights are still very cold, even though the days are warming up nicely. In a wooden cabin, you really feel the cold in the early morning: the only thing to do is to get up and go as soon as the sun rises. I didn’t feel this place gave value for money: it was very badly equipped: no microwave, not even a toaster, and the paper-thin walls allowed me to listen to phone conversations going on next door. Luckily they went to bed even before I did! 

It was lovely to hit the road and feel the sun  on me through the right hand side window. There was very little traffic going north at that hour, so I put the Prius into cruise control and relaxed. I stopped for a coffee at Fortescue Roadhouse where it was almost too windy to be outside, so I set off again immediately on the road to Karratha. This was an easy day’s drive of under 300 kms.

My accommodation at Karratha Central Apartments let me check in early at 11.30 am. I was very happy with the set-up as it had everything I needed and some I didn’t (eg a swimming pool - not really warm enough yet, said the receptionist). It is located very conveniently in the town centre, near to Coles and a very nice Asian Fusion restaurant called Lo’s. People were eating huge platefuls when I went in, but I restricted myself to Quinoa and Veggie Stacks, having just watched a new Michael Mosley program on TV.

In the late afternoon I wanted to go for a walk but couldn’t see the best way to go. Nobody else was out walking and nothing seemed to be going on. I walked as far as the Golf Club. There was a tightly-packed caravan site next to it and that was all. So I came back and consumed my Coles Salad Bowl and enjoyed the last of my Inspector Morse.






1 comment: