Sunday, July 31, 2022

Point Samson to Onslow

My cabin at Samson Beach Chalets was a perfect place to chill out. In particular, I relaxed in a leather recliner chair just like the one we had at Quinns. Just what I needed after a long drive, but it made me too lazy to go out and sight see. All I managed was a swim in the pool. For once there was decent TV reception so I sat in my armchair after collecting some takeaway F and C.

Next day, I was looking at a 4-hour drive. I stopped at Roebourne to look at the Old Prison, having just driven past the New Prison. (They incarcerate a lot of people in these parts). The Old Prison is now in a bad state of repair, so it is all fenced off. I have been inside in the past. They do seem to keep replenishing the white paint which is a feature of the historic Roebourne buildings:







Onslow is an 80 km detour off the main highway, but is worth doing for a better class of accommodation! Also, this town was a special place for JL, since he and his son developed Onslow Salt: one of their most successful projects. The concept was to allow seawater to drain into shallow ponds and eventually, through evaporation, salt crystals would form and could be harvested and used for industrial purposes:



When I walked along the seafront late this afternoon, salt was being loaded onto a ship moored at the end of the jetty. It is brought along a railway from the salt stockpiles which are a little way inland.





I think JL would have been pleased that I came here again.

This coaster is where I am now, enjoying an Aperol Spritz;




1 comment:

  1. A job done once provides employment and a commodity for the future.

    ReplyDelete