Thursday, July 21, 2022

Halls Creek to Kununurra


I was up and away early this morning, departing at 8.00 am, as I had a 5-hour drive to Kununurra. On this road the going is slowed by a lot of one-lane bridges, as well as road-widening operations on and off the whole way.


I’ve been to Kununurra several times; originally on a bus trip with Coates Tours. Kevin Coates had organised a big camp-out on his daughter’s property at Kingston Rest, so-called because herds of cattle were rested there on their way to the port of Wyndham. It was on this trip that I first met JL.  Val and I were asked to share a tent, which we were very happy to do. 


Kevin’s daughter had been in the army and had become private secretary to Cosgrove, a high ranking officer who eventually became Governor. She and her husband bought Kingston Rest and tried to make a success of fish farming Redclaw, but I heard it was a hopeless venture because the babies were eaten by birds! Eventually they sold the place to Quintis, a company developing sandalwood plantations. This was also difficult because the trees take more than 12 years to mature, so there are no profits to investors in all that time. When JL and I visited the place some years ago, we watched Asian girls, chosen for their tiny fingers, pricking out seedlings for planting.


Anyway, I was glad to reach Kununurra in the early afternoon and check in to my cabin overlooking the lake. It’s part of the Discovery Parks group, mainly caravans, but with all mod cons and a beautiful view over the water. Wi-fi is non existent in the cabin and Telstra is weak; I shall have to go and sit outside the office, I expect.



View from my cabin



1 comment: