Saturday, May 28, 2016

Conques to Figeac

I had a stroke of luck this morning: I was sitting outside the Tourist Office, using their free wi fi, when a Figeac minibus pulled up outside and two French ladies emerged. I saw my chance to get to Figeac right away at 10.30 am instead of waiting for the post bus at 1.30 pm. They told me they had paid 65€ for the one hour journey, whereas the post bus was only 20€. I negotiated with the driver for that price. She was going back there after all!  She also had to deliver some luggage for pilgrims to Decazeville en route.

It proved to be a really pleasant journey, even though the driver couldn't speak much English.  She was a very careful and experienced driver and needed to be as the narrow winding road out of Conques was not for the faint hearted. Worse still was negotiating the way to the Gite  outside Decazeville, directly on the Chemin, but up the mountainside to drop off bags. I prayed nothing was coming in the opposite direction! Nothing was !

She dropped me at my hotel in Figeac, the Best Western Pont d'Or, where I had booked a room in comparative luxury for 2 nights. I have a balcony overlooking the river and bridge, plus a bath! Heaven!

After a long luxurious siesta, I walked into town to the Tourist Office to check on transport to Cahors on Monday. Then off to Figeac's most famous museum, in honour of the person who worked out how Egyption hieroglyphics worked. Info below is from the Museum's Guide in English:

Champollion (1790-1832) born here. Father was a bookseller. Moved to Grenoble and studied there before going to Paris to the school of Oriental languages, where he studied many languages and writing systems. In 1822 he discovered the key to the system of Egyptian writing. 

His work, deciphering hieroglyphics led to the study of Egyptology. He undertook research into the numerous gods venerated by the ancient Egyptians. His experdition to the Nile Valley revealed the nature of their buildings and their role in the religious and political life of ancient Egypt.


Champollion Museum

Portrait of Champollion 

Some of his work

Replica of Rosetta Stone full size, spoilt by camera flash

All this info is for JL's benefit, as I'm here to look at early medieval architecture not Egyptian stuff!!

Strolling round the town afterwards was a treat: lots of metchant's houses unchanged through the centuries. The restaurants were packed on a Saturday lunchtime and spilling out onto the squares. I caught the tail end of a market and bought some fruit (non existent in Conques) - cherries and apricots, plus a lump of cheese for my lunch.

Cheese stall in market

Tourist train, mainly carrying a brass band dressed in red and yellow. They started to play when held up in traffic from the market, to everyone's amusement.








No comments:

Post a Comment