Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Cahors to Moissac

A little blue (free) bus transported me from near the hotel to the train station. The journey, with a long change at Montauban and another short one at Agen, was uneventful; raining as usual! On arrival in Moissac, I soon found my accommodation just across the road from the station: the Gite Ultreia, well known in Camino circles because the owners are Irish with a reputation for the warmth of their hospitality. Sure enough, Rom Bates was most helpful, advising me to go straight back to the station to try and book my onward travel. Train strikes are due in France for the next two days. I have managed to book the replacement bus to Toulouse at 8.30 tomorrow, but I may have to continue travelling and not stay in Toulouse as planned. This means I lose the chance to see St Sernin Basilica.  We'll have to see what happens! 

Meanwhile I made the most of the afternoon to visit Moissac's great draw card: the closters of St Peter's Abbey. This is said to be the oldest cloister in the world, founded in 1100. Capitals were carved in limestone and columns made of marble. There are 46 of these decorated capitals, with biblical scenes or intricate leaf designs.




Tympanum 

Detail of tympanum

In the 12th century about 100 monks lived in the abbey. It was a centre for illuminated manuscripts.

Examples of illuminated letters 

A non religious book ("The War against the Jews")









No comments:

Post a Comment