Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Lestedo to Melide

Firstly, a few more pics of the restoration of the rectory:







The staff were incredibly kind; nothing was too much trouble. Luis, the son of the proprietor, was the best: always smiling and joking with everyone. It was a pleasure to stay there!

Today’s stage to Melide was always going to be too far for me. I could either walk into Palas do Rei and catch a bus to Melide - or I could walk as far as I felt like and then call a taxi ( bearing in mind I would have to see where the Camino crossed a road to do that). In the end, the decision was made for me when I discovered I would have to wait till 3.30 for a bus and the town of Palas do Rei appeared to have no attractions to help me pass the time. I would be better off walking, even though it was forecasting showers.

The trail was really pretty and tree-lined.


The grass was high and lush, thanks to all the rain that falls on Galicia.


These little plants are everywhere in the damp conditions and often grow on top of the dry stone walls that line the route.


This is the ubiquitous kale plant that grows in all the veggie gardens and is used to make Caldo Gallego, the soup of the region.


Lunch spot. On the right, with his back to the camera, was a police officer who had walked all the way from his home in Switzerland. He was discussing with some Americans the reason for all the shootings in the US.

More horreos. I passed lots today, but as far as I could see, they were empty.

Eucalyptus planting. They are controversial here, as many Spaniards believe they take all the goodness out of the soil and give nothing back. A Californian family who passed by also disliked them because they are extremely flammable.

I finally jumped into a taxi for the last 5 kms, dripping wet after several hours rain, and was dropped right at the door of Hotel Luxe, Melide.



No comments:

Post a Comment