Sunday, May 22, 2022

Villafranca to Trabadelo

The forecast thunderstorms didn’t eventuate, even though the sky looked threatening last night. This is the view from the Parador’s terrace: mountains on all sides:



The food is always good here, but I didn’t want to overload my stomach, so I just ordered asparagus soup and a dessert. 


The dessert was rather spectacular: it was called Medulas, in recognition of the Roman gold mines near here (if you are travelling by car). The dish consisted of orange cake sprinkled with edible gold dust, together with figs and chestnuts and ice cream!

Another beautiful sunny day dawned. I didn’t indulge in the Parador’s buffet breakfast; instead I just got a coffee and croissant in town. Here are some pics of the Camino at about 9.00 am:


Looking back towards Villafranca.


A rushing weir on the edge of town.



 Villafranca recedes further into the distance.


The Camino is crisscrossed many times by the huge concrete flyovers of the A6 motorway. The trail actually follows the route of the original road which itself followed a rushing stream down below.

The little towns have lovely balconies and flowering pot plants:




Plenty of firewood for Trabadelo.



I stopped for a beer at the first bar in Trabadelo and then walked a bit further to my accommodation for the night: Casa Susi. The owner is an Australian women married to a Spaniard, Fermin. They have created a lovely welcoming albergue with only 8 beds. I was first in, so I had the choice, the so-called “penthouse “.




First in , best dressed, as they say. It’s superior because it’s in its own little partitioned off cubicle. 

1 comment: