Sunday, May 1, 2022

Torres del Rio to Viana

One more beautiful day! After all that rain at the start of this Camino, I couldn’t wish for a better experience than today: blue skies and sunshine all the way. The trail was a bit tough, though, only about 11 kms but constantly up and down. The guide book calls it “the knee wrecker.” One of my knees is already a bit wrecked, so I trod carefully and slowly. Coming down is always the worst.

Leaving Torres, going past the cemetery.


Just keeping heading west, with the sun behind you.


Looking north towards the mountains.



On such a clear day, we could see for miles. On previous trips I can never remember seeing the sprawl of Logrono so far in the distance. It’s actually just off to the right of this picture, but I was more interested in recording the perfectly straight lines of the vines, pruned and ready to sprout:




An ancient olive grove.


A landmark on the highest point:
Nuestra Senora del Poyo (570m).

An English couple liked the look of my tiny daypack. From a distance, it looked like a lovely present tied up with a bow, they said.

Viana getting closer…


…and closer.

Finally arrived at about 1.30 pm. What a shock to discover the town was absolutely packed. I remembered it was Sunday and also May Day. Every man and his dog for miles around had come to see the dancing, listen to the brass band (see my Instagram) or just to eat and drink at a pavement cafe. I had to fight my way through the crowds on the main street.



My destination was right at the far end of town: the Palacio de Pujadas. Yes, well-heeled pilgrims can stay at a palace! But I had no choice except to join the queue for a drink. The woman ahead of me was ordering EIGHT pints of beer and a massive plate of food. When it was my turn, I ordered a modest glass of white wine and a couple of tapas (an octopus skewer and some tuna w onion). Not a bad lunch!

1 comment:

  1. More beautiful pictures! I'm happy it was such a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete