Friday, April 26, 2024

Fuengirola

I just talked to a woman at the pool: they flew from Luton to Malaga for £15. They have popped over for a 4-day break from the English weather. They come twice a year to this hotel because it’s quiet and clean and free of “lager louts”. I’m not sure what people do all day. There is a very long promenade: good for an early morning constitutional. Then you can lie by the pool for a few hours, if you are lucky enough to secure a lounge bed. I was determined to have a swim, even though the water was absolutely freezing. I also wanted to christen my new M&S costume. It turned out that the woman above makes money by buying old M&S clothes from outlets and selling them online.


View of my hotel from across the road. My room is one of those on the side, 5th floor, looking towards Malaga.


This view is from the water’s edge. The sand is swept clean every morning by machine.


Last night’s dinner: an enormous piece of swordfish with veggies. I specifically asked for no chips!


This morning’s breakfast: it’s a long time since I’ve had freshly made pancakes.
The bill!

I didn’t end up in Fuengirola by accident. For years I have been reading the blog of an American called Mitchell, who lives here with his partner, Gerry, and two cats. Their favourite restaurant is Meson Salvador, just a block away from the seafront. I had promised to meet them to teach them how to pronounce Worcestershire Sauce (which had been the subject of debate a few weeks ago). However, Mitchell has been in hospital for a week with some unidentified infection, so this was not the best time. Anyway, I went to Meson Salvador for an early dinner and chatted to the waiter for the latest news. It turned out that the two of them were booked in for dinner at 9.00 pm. I find the Spanish dinner time impossible and was tired after the trip from Gibraltar anyway. I asked the waiter to put some of the swordfish into a doggy bag for Mitchell and Gerry’s cats. Next minute, Mitchell was on the waiter’s mobile, telling me that their cats will only eat dried cat food! Oh well, I did try!


Beautiful display of geraniums in the square beside the hotel.




1 comment: