Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunday in Algeciras

Nothing much seemed to be happening today.  Even my favourite supermarket, Carrefour Express was closed. I did see the archaeological site of the medieval walls, and then walked into the town centre and came to the main square Plaza Alta built on a higher level, but with a view of the port. This seemed to be where the action was: lots of little kids chasing the pigeons and then settling down to a story-telling session (see my Instagram).






The main square had some elaborate tile work, including these benches:

I think that they depicted scenes from Don Quixote.

Back at my hotel, they seemed to be preparing for a grand lunch. At about 2.00 pm, smartly dressed guests started to arrive. Time to make myself scarce and prepare some soup in my room! In the afternoon, the sun attracted a couple of men into the pool, which was protected by this code (123456#) I discovered. It was a bit cold for me, so I took the opportunity to do a bit of laundry. My room had a large bath, which is becoming unusual in Spain, so I filled it up and washed myself and my dirty clothes at the same time: a trick I’d learned on the Camino.

1 comment:

  1. I like the archeological site stone work and the tiles in the town center.

    ReplyDelete