Thursday, May 11, 2023

Astorga to Santa Catalina 9.2 km

For dinner yesterday, I went over to Hotel Gaudi for their delicious baby lamb cutlets. Unfortunately they had none left and the waiter offered me baby lamb shoulder instead: a good second best. For dessert: strawberries and cream:





The restaurant was packed with a tour group, of unknown origin as I couldn’t identify the language:




The west end of the Cathedral looked impressive in the setting sun:


The Camino was another long straight path, broken by one stop for a fresh orange juice at Murias de Rechivaldo:


In the distance, to the north, is Castrillo de Polvazares, a model village which retains a traditional Maragato appearance in its houses. When I went there years ago, I was disappointed by the number of residents cars that spoiled my photos:


It’s a favourite destination for tour buses, but a little off the Camino.


At a rest stop, someone had painstakingly laid out a labyrinth in white stones.


Approaching Santa Catalina, where I had a light lunch.


As I was sitting outside the Albergue El Caminante, the Jacotrans van pulled up to deliver a couple of bags.

My accommodation here is the lovely HR Via Avis, where I stayed before when I had a knee problem. The owners were very kind and drove me back to Astorga at the time  to see a doctor. (Not that he did any good. I am still battling the knee, but I’ve resisted having a knee replacement and the surrounding muscles seem to have learned to compensate for the torn meniscus).

The owners of Via Avis (Spanish Carlos and his Eastern European wife Daina) are perfectionists and have sourced furniture and fittings from surrounding villages that are appropriate for this historic building:





Here are a couple of pics of the view from my window:






3 comments:

  1. Joanne, I’ve just read your blog post about the new rules. Google won’t let me comment there, for some reason. People in aged care residences don’t eat much anyway: appetites diminish as we get older. As for ice cream, that costs very little since it requires no preparation by the staff. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am learning you need a Google account as well as a WordPress account. That's not cast in stone.
    So much to comment about in today's post. Beautiful photo's, as always. Meaningful commentary. Inclusion of good and poignent artifacts. The maze picture was meaningful. A dear friend constructed a large maze in her country yard. It is harder to find each year, overtaken by weeds and shifting of the stones by the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, wait, this is a Google account. I don't know the answer.

      Delete