Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Cacabelos to Villafranca cont’d


Going up the hill, I soon started to pass cherry orchards. Some were definitely not ripe yet:


… but it looked like being a bumper crop this year. Later, I saw an elderly couple busy picking from their trees in a more sheltered spot.


Then, more vineyards on all sides, with the hedgerows full of wild roses and honeysuckle:


This is a favourite shot for everyone passing by. It’s in the guidebook and at the top of my blog. It’s called The House of the Pines;



More info about wine production in this area:


Approaching Villafranca, the first thing is the Municipal Albergue on the right. It’s below the road:


Then, on the left, is the Romanesque Church of Santiago:


Medieval pilgrims could get a Compostela if they were too sick to continue to Santiago itself.


Finally, I was in Villafranca. I made my way to the Plaza Mayor and enjoyed a beer and a tapa at an outdoor cafe until my hotel opened at 1.00 pm.

I was given the same room as last year, with its view of the Church:


In the evening, it was back to the same outdoor cafe for melon and ham followed by:



The best day!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a very good day for food, but no Compostela.

    ReplyDelete