Monday, May 29, 2023

Toledo cathedral et al

In the Middle Ages, Toledo built a reputation for producing swords, instruments of torture and other metal devices. Lots of tiny replicas are on sale in the gift shops, but this one is unusual:

They were selected to make realistic objects for the film.

Lunch was again at the nearest restaurant to the Posada:


There were three young waiters being trained and they brought my meal very quickly. I had venison medallions cooked in apples, followed by lemon sorbet:




Dessert Menu (an impossible choice!)



Now for the Cathedral.

By this time, my brain was reaching capacity for absorbing too much more information, so I declined the audio guide and just wandered around using the Spanish guide book on my iPhone. Occasionally I listened to one of the accredited tourist guides giving their spiel. Toledo is an enormous Gothic structure:




The high altar has a series of carvings depicting the life of Jesus. My memory of bible stories is not good, but I did recognise the Three Wise Men:


Treasures in the Sacristy included an El Greco given pride of place:

… and a very early carving of Mother and Child:


Walking round the cloister, I took this shot of the tower:


More pics of the treasures:




Enough?

1 comment: