Friday, May 26, 2023

Madrid to Toledo

By train.

The crowds of people milling about the two Madrid stations (Chamartin and Atocha), and the traffic on the road between them, made me conclude that the human race has grown too big. We need to stop reproducing!

I took a taxi to Atocha, an experience in itself, as the driver kept throwing up his hands in despair at the behaviour of others on the road who pulled out and cut in front of him. When he could, he drove at speed to prevent others from getting in his lane.

I had a quick breakfast at Atocha; then discovered there was no left luggage inside the station. They sent me round the corner, where a rip-off merchant charged me €8 for a few hours. But I had to do it. Atocha is very close to the Reina Sofia Museum and I wanted another look at Picasso’s Guernica. I was happy to discover there was free entrance for seniors to Reina  Sophia.



There is no photography allowed of this most famous piece: this is a photo of a print in the gift shop.

Near to the Guernica gallery is a collection of Civil War posters:









The train to Toledo took just over half an hour, so I was soon in this most medieval of cities, with narrow streets and buildings crowding in on one another. My taxi, with its female driver, was a very small Toyota: the only car that could negotiate the way through the old town to my accommodation at La Posada de Manolo. I have a quirky little room with squeaky floorboards:



It’s right next to the Cathedral, but my first thought was to get some lunch at the fashionable Spanish hour of 3.00 pm. The first restaurant I came to was Los Cuatro Tiempos, where I had a Caesar Salad followed by Venison Stew:






1 comment:

  1. An excellent lunch and before that an excellent excursion to a museum.

    ReplyDelete