Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Mazarife to Hospital de Orbigo. 14 km

Dinner last night at the Albergue was one of the best. On the menu: mixed salad, carrot soup, paella and finally pancake with chocolate sauce and strawberries. Earlier I had strolled sound town and took a few pics:





This pilgrim statue is one I recognised. It is just opposite the Albergue Tio Pepe, where I had stayed twice. A notice on the door said it was closed Mondays. There would be a lot of tired people reading this.

I slept well till someone upstairs started clomping around at 5.00 am and banging doors. Luckily I am well equipped to make myself a cup of green tea in bed till breakfast is served.

The day dawned very overcast. Some people’s weather apps forecast rain, but mine gave out strong wind. It turned out to be a very cold headwind from the west. Everyone buttoned themselves up against it. It was a long 7 kms battling against it.

We passed intensive agriculture, including an experimental farm, fenced off from intruders. I made a stop near a canal crossing and took a few pics:




These seats are new. I chatted to a group of four Brazilians here.


There is a tree from which these cotton wool blossoms blow about, like being in a snow storm. I’ve never seen them before, but they’ve been everywhere this week.


Arriving in Villavante at last. A bar was open so I ordered a welcome cafe con leche.  Leaving town, and looking for the yellow arrows, I came across this horse paddock, in which there were two mares and their foals:



Then the Camino made an annoying detour round an enormous mechanised dairy operation, seemingly proud of its Philadelphia contract:



Then it was time to arrive at the famous bridge, Puente de Orbigo, looking beautiful in the midday sun:



My hotel, Don Suero de Quinones can be seen at the far end, to the left of the bridge.


A plaque tells you all about the legend, if you can read Spanish. He was a medieval knight who broke dozens of lances in jousts on the bridge.

When I could check in, I was given a lovely room on the 2nd floor. It has been renovated recently with all the best fittings. My window looks across the bridge, so I can watch everyone arriving after a long day’s walk.

3 comments:

  1. Don Suero de Quinones surely was a welcome sight at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm belatedly catching up with your latest Camino adventures, after a few weeks when I didn't have time for blog reading (and having just looked up some place names I now realise that in my mind I'd completely misplaced which bit of Spain you'd been in).

    Just to let you know that I'm not seeing any photos in your posts that are more than a month old. A couple of days ago I could see the photos on the post before this one, but now they're gone. Not sure if it's just me (but I've tried two different browsers, both signed in and not signed in), but fear that wherever your photos are being held, they are perhaps being auto-archived after a month?

    ReplyDelete